In this modern world, WiFi internet has exponentially increased in home, work and schools. Wireless technology has made connecting to the internet more convenient than ever. If you’re like most people, your home network includes desktops, laptops, tablets and smart phones – all must be connected wireless through one router.
But the problems you might be facing are having limited range of your WiFi signal and there might be some deadspots in certain parts of the home. So what should you do if your wireless signal doesn’t reach every corner of your home? The answer is to make and implement your own WiFi booster.
Before I start telling you that how you can make your own WiFi booster, let me tell you how in old days people used to get good signal in their cell phones. In old days were people used to have cell phones as their primary phone (no landline), it gets very important for them to make sure that they are getting good signal. To deal with that they put prop over phones with bamboo chopsticks (as not to interface with signal) in a bowl that was attached to cheap mini-tripod for digital cams and hook handset free on them. They could aim the bowl at the nearest tower to get a good signal and still use the hands free to sit comfortably in the couch while talking.
So in the same way you can also make your own WiFi extension booster and can boost your signals to get high quality long range WiFi signals. The basic components which you will require to make your own WiFi extension booster are an old WiFi dongle, simple hand tools and Asian “parabolic” cookware or parabolic dish. See the below figure to understand it well.
All the above components are relative cheap and most expensive can be USB dongle.
When you are ready with all the parts, you just need to follow below procedure to make your own WiFi extension booster.
- First you need to find the exact spot of the antenna in the dongle so that you can place it right at the focal point of the parabolic cookware or parabolic dish. I think it would be easy finding the antenna if you take off the plastic case of USB Dongle. See the figure to understand it better.
- Now if you are using ready-made parabolic cookware or dish then you can directly jump to 3rd steps without reading further. But it your using the aluminum foil or beer can then it is very important to make true parabolic curve. A true parabolic curve is very desirable for signals as it reflects energy from its focal point as a parallel beam & concentrates distant signals to a focus.
- Normally true parabolas have general Cartesian equations. But if parabolas maths leaves you numb, then you can just go with hands on verifications – such as matching profiles to hanging chains (as here) & curving aluminum foil around the shape to see where sunshine or a distant light is concentrated.
- Now the hardest part of your DIY WiFi booster is figuring out the exact place of the antenna in the parabolic cookware, dish or bear can.
- Focal point position can be found by bringing the sun reflection to a point in dish or beer can. Line the work with aluminum foil for the trial.
- Of course for true parabola, focal point distance out from base can be found using formula f=D^2/(16C) or the square of the diameter divided by 16 times the depth of the cookware or dish or can.
- The remaining part is easy. Now cut the hole of the size of the USB Dongle and put the USB cable through the hole till the distance is right at the focal point. Now connect the USB port of dongle with the USB extension and your WiFi booster is ready. It will look similar to the one shown in below figure.
- Now finally your WiFi booster is ready for testing. This booster is highly directional and has high range.
- Set up the connection and start using the internet, aim slightly to the left or right of the receiver of your neighbour and carefully adjust your antenna by rotating it slightly to receive the best gain or you can use the software like NetStumbler to see the signal.
- Do not keep the antenna in open sky without any protection to it as it might get rusted.
So if you’ve been battling with internet dead zones around your house, then it’s time to make you own WiFi extension booster. This will give you the freedom to roam to all corners of your house, wireless devices in hand and all completely connected.
Boost your life now by boosting your WiFi signals.